This week at Southbridge, we talked about: Revolutionary Choices. Jesus says, in Luke 14:11 For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” That is revolutionary thinking that will lead to revolutionary living. So what are some practical ways to cultivate humility? C.J. Mahaney, at the end of his book Humility: True Greatness, shares some practical advice on how to weaken pride and cultivate humility. He says:
1. Reflect on the wonder of the cross of Christ.
As Each Day Begins:
2. Begin each day by acknowledging your dependence upon God and your need for God.
3. Begin your Day by expressing gratefulness for God.
4. Practice the spiritual disciplines–prayer, study of God’s Word, worship. Do this consistently each day and at the day’s outset, if possible.
5. Seize your commute time to memorize and meditate on Scripture.
6. Cast your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.
As Each Day Ends:
7. At the end of the day, transfer the glory to God.
8. Before going to sleep, receive this gift of sleep from God and acknowledge His purpose for sleep.
For Special Focus:
9. Study the attributes of God.
10. Study the doctrines of grace.
11. Study the doctrine of sin.
12. Play golf as much as possible.
13. Laugh often, and laugh often at yourself.
Throughout Your Days and Weeks:
14. Identify evidences of grace in others.
15. Encourage and serve others each and every day.
16. Invite and pursue correction.
17. Respond humbly to trials.